Perilous Plunge 101
What is the Perilous Plunge? The Plunge is the annual fundraiser for the Redwood Discovery Museum. In teams, or individually, plungers jump into Humboldt Bay dressed up in wacky costumes to the sound of the Marching Lumberjacks and cheers of the crowd. Plungers are rewarded for their bravery with a hot tub, Bloody Mary’s, and a warm lunch. Leading up to the event, each plunger collects pledges from ‘sponsors’ who will gladly pay to watch them jump into the Bay. All funds raised directly benefit the Redwood Discovery Museum programs including Pal Camp in Freshwater. This year will be the 19th annual community wide event.
On Saturday March 21st, the bravest folks (age 18 and up) around will hurl themselves into the frigid Humboldt Bay in wacky costumes to support the children of our community —and then of course jump into a hot tub with a much deserved Bloody Mary (21+).
Yes! Perilous Plunge—a community wide event in support of the Discovery Museum’s mission to promote hands-on learning and exploration for our region’s youth.
The Redwood Discovery Museum is more than a Museum. It’s a children’s a summer camp, an outdoor education facility, a teacher resource, a field trip destination, a playgroup host, a place to play on rainy days, an experience to enjoy with your child, and so much more.
The community’s investment in The Perilous Plunge enables us to sustain vital programs serving over 14,000 children annually.
What do I do?
- Sign up at discovery-museum.org or click on the button below
2. Plunge solo, or form a team with other plungers! This is a great way to promote your business or Plunge theme.
3. Collect pledges! Find people near and far to sponsor your Plunge. Cash and checks can be dropped off at the museum. You can all collect donations or in person and bring on the day of the event, or you can have donors pledge online at https://www.flipcause.com/secure/fundraiser_search/NjU0OTE=
4. If you need help signing up online please email email@example.com or call 707-443-9694
What do I get?
As a Plunger you are rewarded with:
- A special Plunger t-shirt especially designed for the 2020 Perilous Plunge
- Admission to the VIP Tent for food, libations, and great company
- Warm towels and a changing room adjoining the VIP tent
- You and your team will be announced before your jump in the bay
- The possibility of earning one of our custom made Plunge Trophies. Trophies include Plunge King, Plunge Queen, Rookie of the Year, Best Jump, Best Costume, Best Team Jump, the Kayak Judges Award, and Team Royalty
What do I need to know?
- Plungers must be at least 18 years of age
- Bring a change of clothing for after your plunge- we have heated changing rooms for you.
- 8:00 am Registration begins at the corner of E Street and 3rd Street
- 9:30 parade to the dock at the foot of F Street
- 9:45-11:00 Plunging followed by lunch for Plungers
- Once you have registered online you can share your campaign on social media and by email
- If you have additional questions you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Is the bay safe?
- Humboldt bay's waters are clean and safe. Humboldt Bay is the home of the largest oyster farm operation. Oysters live in the bay 24/7 and are send all over the world. If people can eat a delicious delicacy that grew up in the bay, you can rest assured that a quick dip in the bay is safe.
- One or more certified lifeguards will be on the dock if you need assistance
- The Eureka Fire Department is on the dock for your safety.
- We plunge into the bay at high tide, so you won't touch the bottom!
- The Fire Department provides a ladder for safe exit from the water.
- We do a quick Safety Check for plungers to make sure their costumes and what they do in the water is safe. (Like don't swim AWAY from the dock!)
How cold is the water?
Bay water temperature ranges from 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
How much do Plungers need to raise? Each Plunger is required to raise at least $150. Teams raise a shared total of at least $150 per plunger.
I want to support the Plunge, but don't want to jump in the bay. What can I do?
You have several options:
- Become a business sponsor! This is a way to represent your business from dry land.
- Pledge a plunger! Donate to the brave, and perilous plungers jumping into the Bay!
- Buy yourself out! For $150, or more, and earn all the privileges of being a Plunger without having to jump in the water.