Current Job Openings:
Pal Camp Substitute Counselors
The Redwood Discovery Museum is accepting applications for full time seasonal Summer Camp Counselors for Pal Camp 2019. Pal Camp is an educational, adventure filled, and rustic outdoor summer camp held in the beautiful Redwood Forest of Freshwater, California. For over 60 years Pal Camp has been a place where children and teens come to play, learn, and grow! We are looking for applicants who enjoy and have experience working with children and have strong leadership skills. We are seeking current or aspiring educators interested in experiencing fieldwork in the world of education. As a Pal Camp staff member, you can further develop the skills you need to succeed working with a broad range of children. This role asks you to meet children’s needs and to teach them new knowledge and skills in the areas of science, technology, engineering, art, and outdoor education. You will learn how to create environments that celebrate strengths and enable all children to feel a sense of belonging through collaborative learning.
As a Pal Camp Counselor, you’ll benefit from:
- Intensive and informed training on teaching, learning, and student-centered approaches
- Daily interaction with children of diverse ages and backgrounds
- Practice and development of your teaching strengths through focus on your own areas of knowledge, interest, or expertise
We are also looking to hire for substitute counselor positions. To be hired as a substitute, you are not required to be available every day.
Job Description: Camp Counselors will design and teach camp lesson plans and learning activities to children grades Pre K-7th, and lead Junior Counselors grades 7th-12th. In addition to enriching the lives of children and providing opportunities for them to learn and grow, leaders are expected to create safe and fun learning environments while monitoring groups of children to ensure appropriate behavior and safety. Pal Camp has been carrying out the tradition of playing games, singing songs, and telling myths for generations and counselors are expected to continue the spirit of camp with energetic enthusiasm. Applicants must be able to lead and teach independently and ensure the well-being of children in small and large groups, and carry out other duties as assigned. If you are positive, encouraging, and team-oriented join us and share your love of the outdoors with our campers.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree, currently working towards earning a B.A.. (Experience in lieu of education will be considered). Professional experience working with, leading, or teaching groups of children or adolescents in a school, after-school, or educational setting. Must have enthusiasm for playing games, singing, and theatrical performance. Candidates will be required to complete a CPR certification course and fingerprinting upon hire. Must pass Live Scan fingerprinting.
Preferred Qualifications: Child development/education/special education major or working towards earning or already received teaching credentials. Certified Lifeguard (will earn increased wages).
Wages: $11/hr How to Apply: Send a Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
-Or- Attn. Pal Camp Director
612 G Street #102,
Summer Camp Lifeguard
The Redwood Discovery Museum is accepting applications for a part time seasonal Summer Camp Lifeguard for Pal Camp 2019. Pal Camp is an educational, adventure filled, rustic outdoor summer camp held in the beautiful Redwood Forest of Freshwater, California. For over 60 years Pal Camp has been a place where children and teens come to play, learn, and grow! We are looking for applicants who enjoy working with children. As a Pal Camp staff member, you can further develop the skills you need to succeed working with a broad range of children.
Camp Dates: June 17th - August 9th
Lifeguard work hours: Tuesdays and Wednesdays 12:30-3:15pm
Job Description: The primary task of the Lifeguard is to ensure the health and safety of all campers at the Freshwater Pool. The Lifeguard will also monitor campers on the walk to and from the pool twice a week. Additionally, a Camp Lifeguard maintains a fun recreational program and intentional atmosphere at the pool that enforces and supports the camp’s mission, and carries out other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience in residential camp, day camp, or pool facility
- Current certification in first aid and infant, child and adult CPR including AED
- Current certification as a lifeguard by a nationally recognized certifying body
- Must pass Live Scan fingerprinting
- Desire and ability to lead, teach, and work outdoors with children and adults.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups of varying age and skill levels while providing necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Endurance for prolonged standing, bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, climbing and stretching.
How to Apply: Send a Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com
Attn. Pal Camp Director
612 G Street #102
Eureka, CA 95501